Plastic Surgery for Men is on the Rise, Reports ASAPS
While many are still under the impression that plastic surgery is just for women, recent statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery prove that is not the case. The ASAPS recently revealed that men account for about 10% of all plastic surgery procedures performed in 2012. While it may seem like a relatively small number, the number is up over 106% from 1997. So why are so many men now deciding to go under the knife?
Most commonly, to fight the signs of aging. As we age, it becomes harder to lose fat in certain spots, or to have the toned body of our younger selves. Plastic surgery allows men to combat these common problem areas, like male breasts, facial wrinkles or sagging, and areas of stubborn body fat. So what were the most common plastic surgery procedures for men in 2012?
Top 5 Plastic Surgery Procedures for Men
- Liposuction: The most common plastic surgery procedure performed on men in 2012, liposuction removes excess fat from areas that regular diet and exercise can’t seem to get rid of. It’s commonly used to target the midsection, love handles, chest, and more.
- Rhinoplasty: Widely known as a nose job, rhinoplasty can fix a myriad of aesthetic problems involving the nose. For men dealing with a nose that is too big, has bumps or depressions, or is asymmetrical, rhinoplasty presents a helpful solution.
- Eyelid surgery: A man’s eyelids can begin to droop with age, causing men to turn to blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery. By removing excess skin and fat from both eyelids, patients can attain a younger and fresher look in their face.
- Breast reduction: Many men struggle with gynecomastia, or enlarged male breasts, as it can be hard to get rid of fat in those areas with the standard weight loss methods. Male breast reduction involves the use of liposuction to remove the excess glandular tissue in the area.
- Ear shaping: For those who have large, misshapen, or protruding ears, ear shaping may present a good option. Many men are embracing this procedure as a way to correct any aesthetic imperfections that are preventing them from looking their best.
Plastic Surgeon on Long Island
To learn more about male plastic surgery or any of the procedures we offer, contact us today and schedule a consultation. Our offices are located in East Setauket, and you can reach us directly at 631-751-4400. We look forward to meeting you!